Liberia Plantation House
Liberia Plantation House is a federal style brick house built in 1825 by William James Weir and Harriet Bladen Mitchell Weir. By the mid-19th century, the house and the surrounding 1,660 acre land tract became one of the most prominent plantations in western Prince William County. During the course of the Civil War, the location of the property was considered strategically advantageous and both Confederate and Union soldiers occupied the house as the war progressed. Under the stewardship of The City of Manassas VA., the house and surrounding 18 acre property are being restored for use as a House Museum.
Conditions Assessment/ Wallpaper Archive June 2014
The first phase of work included the removal of all wallpapers and the assemblage of an archive, documenting the sequence and pattern of all extant papers and fragments. The designated period of significance for the restoration was the Civil War-era dating between 1860 and 1865.
Plaster Consolidation and Repair October 2015
With the exception of the ceilings, all of the plaster throughout the house was original.The historic plaster was a lime based three coat system that was in very good condition. Damage was limited to apparent water infiltration on the North walls and areas beneath plumbing fixtures near the Entrance Hall. The earthquake of 2011 also caused marginal damage in the form of cracks and fissures around windows and door frames. Compromised historic plaster was consolidated with nano-lime washes and lime grout injections. Post historic gypsum based plaster was consolidated with and synthetic resins. Fills were made with lime plaster.
Painting Color-matched Simulated Whitewash December 2015
The historic paint strata was intact and in very good condition. Paint analysis indicted that the Civil War -era finishes were likely lime washes. Exposure windows were opened identifying a highly textured and slightly tinted limwash that varied from room to room. An acrylic simulated limewash was tinted to match the exposed historic finish and an aggregate added to match the texture. Prior to painting, a lining paper was applied to the walls in order to protect the historic paint layers and provide an easily reversible material for future preservation efforts.